I regularly teach fiction and memoir creative writing workshops online through The Loft Literary Center. The Loft Literary Center is one of the nation’s leading literary centers dedicated to the advancement of writers, fostering a writing community, and inspiring a passion for literature.
Two courses I teach regularly:
** Registration is open! This online class begins June 15, 2016. (Eight weeks)** My most popular workshop at The Loft is Back to Basics: Creative Writing Techniques. In the online class, we explore the essential building blocks of creative writing. Each class is completely devoted to one element of story to sharpen your skills in that area. Through analyzing master works and structured writing exercises, we examine and practice the key components of good creative writing. Whether you need some fixes for common plot problems or want to brush up on dialogue, these targeted classes will provide you with the strategies and techniques to increase the depth your writing.
Week 1: Beginnings/Endings
Week 2: Point of View
Week 3: Narration
Week 4: Suspense/Plot
Week 5: Characterization
Week 6: Dialogue
Week 7: Setting/Description
Week 8: Revision
Be Your Own Editor is an online course I developed after editing dozens of works in progress. Writers know their manuscript needs to be edited, but many don’t know where to begin. Are you putting the finishing touches on the first draft of your novel? Do you have a completed draft, but don’t know if it’s ready for publication? Be Your Own Editor will provide the tools and techniques to help you see your manuscript the way an editor or agent might see it. We’ll ask the tough questions to guide you in making your manuscript the best it can be. You’ll workshop your own novel over this six-week class to assess your story’s strengths and weaknesses. Whether your goal is self-publication or securing an agent, you’ll learn what marks your manuscript as the work of a professional instead of an amateur.
What Students Are Saying:
- The highlights for me were the practical writing prompts. I’ve started writing my first short story. This class has given me the tools to know how to being the process and the confidence to try.
- The quality of the critiques — supportive of good work with helpful suggestions for improvement. I loved the image journal practice and will make that part of my new routine!
- I have never taken a writing class that outlines the elements of creating a good piece of writing as this one does; provocative content helped me to look deeper and think about my writing; a good learning experience.
- Jacquelin offered fantastic feedback that helped me improve my writing at its foundation.
- I truly appreciated the teacher’s support.
- The readings were succinct and extremely helpful. The feedback from the instructor was fantastic and always encouraging.
- I really enjoyed the instructor’s feedback on my assignments. This course helped me to build a writing routine that I was lacking and to sharpen creative writing tools. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!
About The Loft
Each year the Loft engages more than 3,000 beginning, intermediate and advanced writers in learning opportunities, hosts more than 100 authors in readings and dialogues that draw more than 10,000 people, connects with more than 160,000 unique visitors through digital resources on our website, collaborates with at least 30 local and national organizations to enrich the literary environment and, through contracts, awards, and grants, pays writers more than $400,000.
In their evaluations, 96% of students report that their class helped them improve their writing, 91% identified their next steps as a writer, and 94% would recommend their class to others. Visit the course catalog with a complete list of classes in poetry, nonfiction and fiction.